Feedback

What is mould and is it dangerous?

Moulds are microorganisms that grow every where they find moisture both indoor and outdoor environments. They enter into your home from outside air through the windows, doorways, and HVAC systems. People also carry moulds along into their homes on their bodies, shoes, bags, clothing and pets. All that moulds need to grow is moisture. When the spores fall on damp materials or areas with lots of moisture such as roof leakages, walls and flooded places they will grow and begin to multiply. Several building materials and wet cellulose substances such as paper products, ceiling tiles, wood products and cardboard also present an ideal condition for moulds to grow.

.

Mould infection
Mould formed in between wall and ceiling as a result of roof leak

Other household items such as carpet, upholstery, wallpaper and insulation materials also contribute largely to a high concentration of moulds in the indoor air. Food stuffs such as fruits, cheese and others are may also go bad as a result of mould infestation. This kind of contamination greatly affects the indoor air quality in homes as well as offices. In effect, it poses serious health risks to occupants of such buildings.

.

Mould Infection
Fruits infested with moulds

.

Usually, everybody is prone to the infections of mould. However, people living with asthma and allergies may experience more reactions to moulds infection. Persons with weaker immune systems and lung diseases are also vulnerable to this indoor air pollutant. Some symptoms related to exposure to mould may include eye irritation, stuffiness in the nose, skin irritation and wheezing. Research has also revealed that some upper respiratory infections may have something to do with exposure to moulds.

.

Some workers may also end up being exposed to large amount of moulds due to their occupational settings. Such ones often have fever and shortness of breath. In offices for instance, staff often complain of having sick building syndrome as a result of a high concentration of moulds in the some areas of the office. Sick building syndrome is a term used to describe an ill health in which occupants of a building experience delicate health effects or uneasiness that is often felt during the times spent in the building. This condition is suspected to be caused by airborne contaminants which include mould. According to the World Health Organization, most people who work in modern office buildings have reported issues of fatigue, headache and concentration difficulties.

.

Even though they are everywhere, a high concentration of moulds in the indoor air of your home, work place or any building often occupied by people is very dangerous. The symptoms mentioned above are just a few known to be related to moulds. Nonetheless, as indoor air quality has become an issue of major concern, families, school principals and employers deem it a necessity to regularly detect and purify the indoor air. This in effect goes a long way to affect the improvement of health in the family as well as among co-workers.

.

Filed under: Articles | Posted on June 28th, 2013 by Evelyn Dzekpedzi

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “What is mould and is it dangerous?”

  1. Zittavyindign Says:

    Great information. thank you

Leave a Reply

Categories

PAGES

LATEST VIDEO POSTINGS

Take a look at how the Paris Air show 2013 looks through Flir thermal imaging camera.  

Do you want to see how Paris Air show 2013 looks through thermal imaging camera?
© Air Concern Limited
Company Registration Number 6809151. VAT No. GB 98926459
Registered Office 10 Caldecott Chase, Abingdon, Oxon, OX14 5GZ